Monday, February 16, 2009

DESERT STORM: A TOUR OF RAJASTHAN


February 12, 2009 10:20 AM

Idalis:

After two and a half months of traveling in southern India on old trains, rusty buses, and death-defying rickshaws, Kevin and I have decided to treat ourselves to a car tour through the northern area of Rajasthan. We were really looking forward to seeing this area, as all of our quintessential images of India comes from Rajasthan: desert sand dunes, camels, women in brightly colored saris, and men in orange turbans. But, we had also been warned by fellow travelers (and in our research) by the comparative harshness of the north: aggressive touts, hordes of tourists, difficult transportation, frenetic cities, extreme poverty, and staunchly traditional. We thought we had already seen it all in the south! Despite the inconveniences, we wanted to see Rajasthan, and decided to make it easier on ourselves by splurging on an 18 day car tour. After looking over our finances and doing the math, we realized it was still cheaper to hire a private driver for a day in India than to stay in a hostel in Europe. Our decision was made even easier by a Christmas contribution by Kevin's parents. We were sold!

Mandawa





Our first stop was Mandawa, about 7 hours southwest of Delhi. Mandawa is known for its famous havelis, beautiful dilapidated mansions painted with colorful murals. After checking in to Hotel Shekhawati, an old haveli with eye-catching paintings, we decided to hire a local young man to be our guide and show us around town. We walked around Mandawa and admired several of the crumbling havelis, many with paintings of various Hindu deities, elephants, or scantily clad female dancers. Our young guide started out well enough, but eventually became more interested in chewing and spitting his paan (a mild stimulant made from betel nut and wrapped in a leaf), or in bringing us into one of his many relatives' shops to just “have a look.” Oh well, I guess that's what you get for a two-dollar tour!

Bikaner








The next day it was off to Bikaner, about 4 hours west of Mandawa. The city itself was smoggy and full of traffic, but the impressive Junagarh Fort made up for it. We wandered through the rooms, marveled at such richly decorated interiors, and looked over the city of Bikaner, which appeared much nicer from higher up.

That night, we drove an hour out of Bikaner to the village of Deshnok, which has the most bizarre place Kevin and I have visited yet: the Karni Mata Temple, otherwise known as the “rat temple.” These special rats that live in the temple are known as kabas, and devotees believe that these little creatures are reincarnated souls saved from the wrath of Yama, the god of death. We left our shoes outside and walked into the Twilight Zone. Everywhere inside were free-roaming rats, scurrying about, drinking milk, or being fed by devoted followers. I tried not to think about the rat droppings crunching beneath my bare feet, but instead focused my attention on avoiding them, since stepping on one means donating a gold medal of a rat to placate the deity. Kevin had two rats scurry over his feet (a sign of good luck) and I had one nibble on my left pinky toe (I squelched the panic rising up inside of me), so we should be blessed for a long time to come.

Indians can be quite peculiar sometimes, asking us what we Westerners would consider to be very personal questions, but for them is no big deal. We're often asked about our friends and family, how long we've been married, why we don't have children, and what our salaries are back home. They also have a very skewed view of Americans, assuming that we are all rich and very promiscuous. I do think though, that on this particular night, we were asked the most outlandish question yet. A proud Punjabi father staying at our hotel, in town for his daughter's exams, asked without hesitation about relationships between men and women, “Is it true that in America sex is free?” To which Kevin replied, much to my embarrassment,
“No sir, actually it's very expensive.”

Jaisalmer





We drove six hours from Bikaner to Jaisalmer the next morning. Luck was on our side (thanks to those sacred rats), for we arrived in this desert city just in time to catch the annual Jaisalmer Desert Festival, and even luckier to find accommodations there, albeit cruddy and spartan. That night, we went with Charlie (our driver) to check out the festivities. We walked around the fair grounds, rode a rickety ferris wheel (probably not the smartest idea), and sampled camel's milk ice cream (I'll stick to Ben & Jerry's). We waited for several cold hours for the sun to go down and were rewarded with traditional Rajasthani dancing and lit views of the fort.

In the morning, we visited the still-inhabited Jaisalmer Fort and had a mediocre breakfast overlooking the main chowk (square), where grief-stricken but still-proud royal wives performed johar, choosing to plunge to their deaths instead of being captured by their enemies. We also entered the nearby Palace of the Maharawal. Our entrance fee, although eight times more than what an Indian pays, was well worth the price. It was beautiful, and the palace's five-story facade of balconies and windows gave us an unforgettable view of India's “Golden City,” given its name because of its sandstone architecture. We witnessed a real treat: birds flying in unison over the crumbling buildings below. From that vantage point, the trash and cow poop was not visible, although it became clear again once we walked back into town.

That afternoon, we had one of our best experiences yet: riding on a camel into the Thar Desert! We took a three-hour “camel safari” in the village of Khuri to the desert sand dunes . . . an awesome experience! My camel, Disco, was quite frisky, and Kevin's camel seemed to suffer from severe flatulence throughout the ride, but it was still so much fun! We arrived at the sand dunes and once dismounting from our hump-backed transportation, ran over the dunes and laughed at our luck . . . we were the only ones there! We watched the sun set, although by that time we were sharing the view with hundreds of other tourists on similar “camel safaris” and various touts and beggars.

That night, we stayed in a small hut in the village of Khuri. The family that owns the simple guest house provided food and entertainment, complete with men singing traditional Rajasthani music and a female dancer in a brightly colored sari. The day was perfect: cow poop, camel farts, beggars, and all.

Today is our six month travel anniversary. It seems like just days ago that Kevin and I were at Miami International Airport, said goodbye to loved ones, and sat on a plane with serious butterflies in our stomachs. It's been a sometimes crazy but always rewarding experience. Over the last few days, we have been battling with homesickness and are really missing our friends and family, as well as the simple comforts of home: the sound of Aphrodite's clickety paws, hot running water, Jeremy's smile, and fresh salads, just to name a few. Despite our longings (the list grows longer every day), we're committed to our journey and continue to feel blessed for being able to experience all of it, the good with the bad, every day.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Before I forget, I think you should have said you "rode the camels into that Thar Dessert." And also, a frisky camel for Idalis and farty camel for Kevin seems like a perfect match for each of you. (Haha...no offense, Kevin!) I'm glad you all have been having fun. I remember reading once about the rat temple but I love the picture of it. As far as you two being home sick...well, we're all Kevin and Idalis sick. We miss your smiles, your humor, your kindness and love, we miss playing the prop game, and being able to call you up to come over for family dinner. Today I bought the stuff for Jeremy's 2nd birthday party. I bought already made invitations rather than making them myself again. But as I was standing there counting the people to invite, I was sad to not be able to put you on the list. We also went to eat at a Greek restaurant today and, again, I thought of you! Jeremy remembers you and I think he does miss you. Dad has a picture of the two of you on his computer as the wall paper and Jeremy knows who you are. If asked, he will point to Uncle Kevin or Tialis! He's so smart! At this very moment he is playing with some of his toys while dad and mom are working out the kinks on the "wheelchair" they have spent several hours making for Aphrodite. I think it will be a big help for her. I will close this for now, but as ever, you are loved and missed. And if you could see how often I check the blog for something new, you'd call me a stalker...and I'd be OK with that! XOXO!!

Anonymous said...

Hi Guys

Just wanted to say Hi and that I am still reading and enjoying the blog. This last blog sounds like the type of tour I would love to do of India. Enjoy! My Mom is doing much better and I thank you for your prayers. I hope to run in to you soon. Stay safe and keep writing, can't wait for the next one. Love Karen.

Anonymous said...

So what was the man's reply to how expensive sex is in America? More important, what was the expression on your face, Idalis? 2 points for Kevin!

Spent Mon (pres.day off) recording a couple tunes with Darren's friends. One is the Fiddle Champion of Scotland, the other a flutist, both teachers from NY. Josue will be posting them on U Tube this week.

I'm off to look for some rats for good luck.... AH!

Anonymous said...

I fucking love it! Especially the rats!Rats drinking out of bowls; yessss!!!!Rat bastards!!!I think you guys are long over due for some self indulgence.You got the money & it will go a long way there.I wish I could be there getting totally absorbed in yoga.I'd like to smack a camel on it's ass to & make fun of it's camel toe!I love you both, it's time to eat.Peace,love Happiness & health!S.K.

Anonymous said...

Golly coincedence or not! Maybe! I found a rat nest in the utility room. You can bet not for "worship" but for extermination, they no longer exist all two of them. 'Wow" I'm glad that part of rat worship is over, two more to rat heaven.
I'll bet riding a camel is a real cool experience. But what type of camel one hump or two humps. Oops! someone might consider that having something to do with sex. The next time you see diti you probably wont be hearing the pitter patter of little feet, but the squeeking of rolling wheels.
Sounds like traveling in a car on a car tour seems to a little different for the two of you. Does the cost include your accomidations/food? What did it cost in rupees to visit the Rat Shrine? Just want to know how much they collect for the little crowns for them. Did you collect a little rat poop for a gift to send home in the package we just received? Golly I've got so many questions. Serious guys have a good time and keep the post coming.

Love to you both
Pop-a-Long

P.S. When I finish fine tuning the doggie wheelchair I'll send you a picture of your little girl.

Anonymous said...

The camel ride sounds alot of fun! The palace where Johar takes place, that sounds creepy... Were there any plagues or anything at the bottom that shows peoples respect for these ladies or is there anything to show that people remember them once they plunge to their death? That's crazy! How is the 6-7hour car ride? Are the streets bumpy or are they smooth? What is the conversation like in the car ride? I am so happy for you reaching your 6month anniversary mark! Wow, it has gone quickly. We both miss you a lot and miss going to your house for some wine and good home cooked meals. Miami isn't the same with you guys gone but you remain strong in our hearts and our minds. Love you both Sarah

Rebecky said...

"No sir, actually it's quite expensive". Had to laugh out loud at that one.

An excellent retelling of adventures in the Rat Temple by Idalis. Oh my goodness!

vagalong.blogspot.com said...

To all of you, we are always so excited to log onto the blog and see comments from more than just the regular "stalkers"!!!

Jeremom, believe that you and Superman are very missed. I can't believe he will be "2", just means I am two years older! The camel pairing could not have been more perfect, no offense taken! I was actually competing with the camel, but he won, barely!!! Greek food sounds sooooo good!

Karen, Glad you are still with us, it has been a while. glad your Mom is better. I guess all this praying in temples works! Hope to see you out there somewhere, sometime. Check in with Laura, Josue, Shawn and Sarah as I think they are planning a summer rendezvous. Perhaps it could be a group thing. That would kill it. Especially if some surf was involved!

Laura, the look on both of their faces was priceless. I am up by two!! I hope the rats provide luck with your new river dance tunes. Can't wait to hear them and bust out a jig in celebration! Gotta be better than this VERY LOUD Indian wedding music that has been bombarding our hotel windows lately!

SK, we F'ing love it too! I was hoping to see some devotee drinking out of the bowl after the rats, no such luck. Thought about it myself, but I forgot to get my black plague immunization before we left. Got a great picture of camel toe for you when we get back, or if I can email it soon. Peace

Pop-a-long, funny how rats can take up different meanings in different places. Hopefully, yours went to heaven and hours continue to be spoiled. The rat temple was free but the camera cost Rs 20 or about 40 cents. The camel had one hump that actually grew as it drank water, while we were sitting on it! never knew about that one!! I cannot thank you enough for the love, care and devotion that you have given to our little girl. To actually build her a wheelchair is awesome. I guess I could get used to squeaking if I knew she was better off! Thank you, thank you, thank you! The car tour is totally worth it. As it turns out, this area is quite difficult to travel by train and bus and takes a lot more time. The car takes us right to the monuments, hotels and restaurants and is a great way to see the country side. Lodging, food and entrance fees are still on us. The rat poop was actually in the spice pack that you received...just kidding!

Sarah, unfortunately, there was nothing commemorating these women. It was a common practice back then, can you believe it? As for the car tour, some of the roads are good, but most are dusty and bumpy at best. Being on a rickety bus would've been way worse. I miss our wine and home-cooked meals, too!

vagalong.blogspot.com said...

Rebecky, Sorry, hit enter too fast. Glad to hear that you are still with us. Any word on Mike W.? I sent him an email and posted on his blog and got no response. Holla at ya boy Mike. Take care and stay tuned!

Anonymous said...

Enjoyed all your reflections on India, Buddhism, the red string and how to achieve true happiness. Am looking forward to more...:) We miss you lots and hope you are both continuing to do well. Lots of love, good wishes and good health!!!
Randi ;)

Unknown said...

Hello travelers. What a great lifetime experience. Maybe next time you'll put Japan in there - I hear they have the best toilets. If I could rent one, I might be more willing to travel to more remote areas too. Somehow Pharoah's revenge sound a little too intimidating for someone so spoiled by running water.

Anyway, i found your mom on facebook and she directed me to your sight. I both envy you, and am just as glad to watch your travels from the couch. Since I homeschool, I could probably get away with more fun, but I am ever the book worm.

Where are the 10 kids? Could you imagine: you would have your own caravan. How long will you be traveling? (sorry - I am a bit behind). And this is a loaded question - what have you learned along the way...one point at a time please.

My uncle Doug (dad's side) was a merchant marine. He spent a lot of time traveling to southeast asia, and india. I bet you all could swop some good stories. My uncle says - no one can understand true poverty unless he/she has been to a third world country. Haiti was enough for me.

Well, enough said...for now...if you want to see updated pics of the my family, i am on facebook. Deanna Lyons Wu